Monday, December 11, 2006

Hi everyone,

So here is my first post in a looonggg line of posts to be posted in the near future. I have actually been trying to write this for about 6 hours now, it's not easy to find free internet in the amazing city of Boston (only my favorite city EVER!). Well thank God for Alex bringing his computer with us to the Hostel because he gets free wireless here. I now don't have to remember absolutely ever minute detail that went down between 4:45 this morning and 9:00 tomorrow night.
As you know we began our day at 4:45am but I'll be honest, thats pretty much when I ended yesterday. Staying with Sam and Bri is definately an experience, there is no such thing as sleep when hangning out with those two girls. I am SO thankful for Mike and the fact that he owns possibly the greatest pillow in the history of pillows, which he let me use, and due to the fact that we sat together on the bus, he was indirectly a part of that great pillow.
Fast forward to 7:11am (yeah I know the exact time, it happens to be the same as my birthday, I know I'm pretty cool) Mike woke me up and the "beautiful" day began. Our first event wasn't schedualed until 10:00am and I would have been perfectly content to cash out in the hostel until then, but no go. We were out the door and on our way by 8:00am. I don't know what might have happend if there hadn't been a Dunkin' Donuts less than a block from the hostel.
We picked up some news papers to read while we drank our coffee, it was so very cliche I was extremely excited, when I happend to glance upon the headline CONDOM BOMBER TELLS HER STORY, well it had to do with the law so of course I didn't hesitate to pick it up a read. I must say it was an interesting read, if you are able to find a copy of the Boston Herald dated December 11, 2006 I highly recommend grabbing a coffee and enjoying a good laugh. After that, coffee in hand, we set out.
We arrived at South Station and had almost an hour to kill so we began our "Person on the Street" interviews. It was a really informative and fun experience. It was interesting to see the varying opinions and who they came from. We kept our interviews diverse and we will be continuing to do "Person on the Street" Interviews throughout the course of JUA, so I will post more on that later.
At 10:00am we went to a law firm where a New Hampton alum was a medium level associate. She was so cool. She was obviously really smart and really nice, she knew many of our teachers (she graduated in 1996) and actually lived in the town over from mine, it turned out we had quite a bit in common. The office was beautiful even the "older sections" if by old she meant nicer than my house than yeah it was really "old". She couldn't really help to much with my essential question because she doesn't really have much to do with the media, she always has a go between.
We then went to Dick's Last Resort for lunch which we may end up doing again tonight but Bri and I have a different plan. We had so much free time because we were unable to procure a tour at the John Adams courthouse. But no matter, we had fun and we were able to get some information about it from the front desk.
We then went on to the city criminal courthouse, but happend to arrive during an hour long recess and thus furthered our free time. We got a list of trials in progress and chose one which appeared intersting although we couldn't really find out any facts about the case. Boy were we wrong. It was possibly the most boring experience of my life. So ex-crack cochaine dealer had killed some crack addict who stole from him and shot at his friend "who he loved" and his friends girlfriend and baby 9 YEARS AGO. It was kind of hilarious because everything he said contradicted what he said in 1998 when the event actually happend. So basically, that guy was screwed.
So I finally got Clark to let us leave at 4:00pm and we got back to the hostel about a half hour ago, I really wanted to take a nap but instead I am doing this and now I only have 15mins until I have to meet my group to leave for dinner.

Well I guess I'll talk to you all later.

~Ali

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not fair! Your posts are only longer than mine because you write about pointless stuff.

Nah, just kidding.

Anyway.... uh... I should probably ask some JUA-ish question here... uh... how does this relate to your essential question? Yeah, that's good.

That guy on trial was messed up, the lawyers were tearing him to shreds. You have to be somewhat lacking in a human soul to be a good lawyer, don't you?

Anonymous said...

so ok you didnt say anything about you falling off the sidewalk that was so funny im sorry but it was our day was good i lived the trials<3 it was amazing and ya i did fall asleeep but it's ok and sorry about you not being able to sleep in mine and sam's room but we love eachother and we talk and your right we dont sleep!!!!